If you are looking for EMFF funding to get more equipment, including PFDs, PLBs, liferaft etc, please go to:
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO LEGISLATION
Implementation of the ILO Work in Fishing Convention 2007 (ILO 188) into UK Law
This will affect all commercial fishermen in the UK. Please make sure you go to the MCA website and read the documents. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/ilo-work-in-fishing-convention
There are various implications for owners of different size vessels. These are being phased in STARTING NOVEMBER 2018. These include:
- A requirement to have work agreements between owners and crew, even if they are share fishermen.
- A requirement to wear PFD’s or wear harnesses while working on deck, unless you have written Risk Assessments showing they are not needed.
- A requirement for Medicals
- There will be restrictions on hours of work
- There will, in some cases, be a requirement to leave a list of crew on board for each trip
You will receive more information if you attend the Safety Awareness course, which we recommend you do. Funding is available for experienced fishermen to take it if it is more than 3 years since you have done it.